Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Providing Application Support

Let me start by saying that I work with a group of extremely smart physicians and nurses, who I enjoy working with. I just sometimes wonder how in the twenty some-odd years that computers have been around, how some of them have made it this far using technology.

I seem to have to remind myself often that most of them did now grow up being taught how to use a computer and how it can make work easier. I also have to remind myself that some people like to resist the use of technology (that I don't understand, but I must remind myself of it).

Providing training and support for applications can be a tiresome task. For most of you that know me well, you know that I'm hard on myself sometimes and I like to try to make everyone happy. When I've trained someone and they don't grasp everything that I have gone over with them, it makes me second guess my training abilities. I end up spending time reviewing the training myself again, thinking that I left something out. I have even listened to and reviewed some of the recorded training presentations that I've given to make sure I explained something properly. I drive myself crazy sometimes with it, as I want to be the best at my job. After I've exhaustively reviewed everything I have access to, I then remind myself that some of the people that I support are from a different generation, and have different learning styles than someone else.

Since we've implemented a new phase of the application I support, I've noticed that I've been on the phone a lot more. Sometimes it does drive me crazy...that is when I have to remind myself of the differences and go to my "happy place" and start assisting. Once I realize this, I feel I'm able to provide them with the one-on-one support that they may need.

Let's just say, providing application support is sometimes a hard thing to do, but if you just keep reminding yourself that some people haven't used computers all of their life, so they need a little additional help. :)

Like I said before, I work with some great people, but as with all jobs, I think everyone gets a little frustrated sometimes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment